Position Summary: We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Laboratory Assistant.
In this role, the successful candidate is responsible for assisting lab staff with the day to day operation of the laboratory, by providing clinical, clerical and inventory management support. Including but not limited to specimen management/processing, ordering and receipt of inventory, instrument maintenance, and communicating with providers and other laboratories.
1. Maintains an adequate supply of all general laboratory items as well as department specific reagents and materials needed for specimen analysis. Communicates the need for additional supplies to supervisor/manager when necessary.
2. Ensures the proper receipt and storage of laboratory materials. Receives all goods delivered and documents according to NYU policy and guidelines provided by regulatory agencies.
3. Understands specimen requirements, communicates to provider and documents when samples are cancelled or rejected.
4. Assures specimen quality prior to processing.
5. Calls provider to confirm or clarify requests, modifies and places orders as required.
6. Responsible for front end processing of all samples preparing them for analysis. Examples include but are not limited to labeling, centrifuging, aliquotting, transport and placing samples on automated test platforms.
7. Responsible for back end processing of samples including preparation for storage, tracking and eventual disposal according to policy.
8. Properly disposes of all department regulated medical, biological, chemical and clean waste.
9. Cleans all laboratory work surfaces and assigned equipment in accordance with laboratory protocols and documents as required.
10. Responsible for maintaining logs associated with temperature and humidity for assigned equipment, work areas and eye wash stations.
11. Completes add on requests as per policy, including retrieval of addon specimens from within and outside the department
12. Responsible for review of routine and stat pending lists and retrieval of missed tests/specimens
13. Answering the phone and providing assistance to caller as required (spec requirements, test availability, TAT etc.)
14. Access automated test platforms to assess status of test samples
15. Responsible for shipping of blood and body fluids to other sites.
16. Assist in blood product modification (irradiation, thawing of frozen products).
17. Responsible for inventory management of blood products (receiving, stocking, expiration).
18. Other duties as assigned.
High School Degree with 12 college credits in biology or chemistry.
Laboratory experience including handling open containers of blood and body fluid (accessioning/intake not included).
Knowledge of computer applications especially excel and word.
Preferred Qualifications: 1+ years experience in a laboratory setting as a laboratory assistant.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Health provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online. If you wish to view NYU Langone Health's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information.
NYU Langone Health provides a salary range to comply with the New York City Law on Salary Transparency in Job Advertisements. The salary range for the role is $46.76 - $58.88 Hourly. Actual salaries depend on a variety of factors, including experience, specialty, education, and hospital need. The salary range or contractual rate listed does not include bonuses/incentive, differential pay or other forms of compensation or benefits.
To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here
NYU Langone —a world-class, patient-centered, integrated, academic medical center—is one of the nation’s premier destinations for excellence in patient care, biomedical research, and medical education. Located in the heart of Manhattan, NYU Langone is composed of Tisch Hospital, our acute care facility; the NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital, a dedicated inpatient orthopedic hospital; Hassenfeld Children's Hospital at NYU Langone, a comprehensive pediatric hospital supporting a full array of children’s health services; Rusk Rehabilitation, the #1 rehab program in New York since U.S. News & World Report began its hospital rankings in 1989; and a growing ambulatory care network with locations throughout Manhattan, the outer boroughs, and the tri-state area, bringing services directly to where its patients live and work. An integral part of NYU Langone, NYU Grossman School of Medicine has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history and enrich the lives of countless pe...ople since 1841.With more than 75 divisions of specialty care including comprehensive inpatient and outpatient programs for every stage of life, a multifaceted Research and Academic Center and the NYU Long Island School of Medicine focused on primary care. NYU Langone Hospital—Long Island joined NYU Langone Health as of August 2019. NYU Langone's tri-fold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved 365 days a year.