Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S News & World Report named Duke University Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in 2018-19.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology, and urology.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
Manager Performance Services
Job Code: 5208
Pay Target: H3
General Description of the Job Class
This position is responsible for managing the delivery of Performance Services programs for assigned areas. This position would typically have oversight of other analysts and engineers and be responsible for the organization and assignment of their efforts to meet the stated business objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
Presented below is a summary of the core responsibilities of Performance Services. Based on the scope of responsibility assigned by the Director, the individual would have oversight responsibility for some or all of the outlined responsibilities.
- Management engineering - to include the productivity management system, labor budgeting and productivity/process analyses and improvement.
- Operational Support - supporting Senior Operational leadership with focused analyses or improvement efforts and management of administrative projects and efforts.
- Clinical Decision Support and performance improvement - to include clinical decision support and ongoing performance improvement support.
- Performance Monitoring - to include management of the balanced scorecard and the collection or reporting of related performance metrics.
- Patient Satisfaction - to include coordination and support of related patient satisfaction improvement efforts.
- Six Sigma - to include deployment planning and execution and project management and support.
In addition, the person would perform the following:
- Oversee specialized aspects/services of the Performance Services scope of responsibilities as assigned by the Departmental Director.
- Support Hospital leadership with requested analysis for major improvement, planning or budgeting initiatives.
- Direct supervision of staff within the assigned area of responsibility.
Required Qualifications at this Level
Education:Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Industrial Engineering or related field. Master's degree preferred.
Experience: Five years of experience with one to three years of experience in leading or coordinating projects or work teams.
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification: N/A
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Strong analytical and communication skills
Strong computer skills to include database analysis
Distinguishing Characteristics of this Level
This position is responsible for managing the service delivery or major function and direct supervision of staff within their area of responsibility. The success is assessed by attainment of personal and business goals and objectives.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
As a world-class academic and health care system, Duke Health strives to transform medicine and health locally and globally through innovative scientific research, rapid translation of breakthrough discoveries, educating future clinical and scientific leaders, advocating and practicing evidence-based medicine to improve community health, and leading efforts to eliminate health inequalities.