General Description: To ensure that the Clinical labs obtain maximum benefit from the LIS and interfaces by continually monitoring system operation and performance. The analyst will work with the lab staff to enhance processes and workflow s by entering service requests for changes.He/she will coordinate and test changes, enhancements, and upgrades, and educate staff on updates. The position will provide oversight of, participate in IT system support of the clinical laboratory and be an SME for the Kiestra TLAsystem.
· Dem demonstrates strong written and verbal communications skills necessary to facilitate positive interactions with employees, patients (and patient families), lab leadership, administration and all laboratory customers.
· Maintains confidentiality at all times with staff conversations, issues, corrective action, and performance appraisals.
· Communicates in an honest, straightforward, and respectful manner at all times.
Develop Other Leaders/Mentorship:
· Act as a mentor, coach, and role model for staff within the Clinical Microbiology Laboratory.
· Assists staff at all levels with the development of skills, knowledge, and abilities to perform at their highest level.
· Assists in the development of new leaders in the laboratory.
Decision Making, Supervision, Financial Acuity, and Change Management:
· Maintain the technical expertise to provide guidance and troubleshooting skills in the DUH MicrobiologyLaborator y.
· Demonstrate leadership and mentorship skills to champion departmental changes, necessary to improve workflow, quality, and patient care in support of our customers.
· Support and participate in DUH laboratory work culture initiatives. Work with staff and other lab leadership to develop a department-specific work culture plan that is reviewed and revised on an annual basis.
· Make decisions to increase the productivity of your team by providing consistent leadership.
· Provide objective feedback by making sure your team knows what you expect of them and how they can improve.
Orientation, Training, Onboarding:
· Training, orientation, and evaluation of LIS job performance of personnel as assigned.
· Coordinate continuing education opportunities for staff on an ongoing basis to support employee development in LIS functions.
Assist AnalyticalSpecialist and Supervisors with competency assessment tools, test/quiz questions regarding reporting in the LIS system as assigned.
· Oversee the work of laboratory personnel engaged in performing routine and specialized technical procedures, including planning laboratory work, evaluating work performed and handling procedural and technical laboratory problems.
· Administer and coordinate the information technologist activities in the laboratory to ensure that all aspects of laboratory information systems functionality are in accordance with established policies and procedures; perform specialized IT activities requiring advanced skills and theoretical
· Coordinate and enter all Service Now Requests. Tr acks service now requests, performing testing needed before approval and moving changes to Production
· Auto-verification validation in M microbiology to meet CAP requirements
· Calculation testing validation to meet CAPrequirements
· Troubleshooting instrument/interface problems throughout all areas of the laboratory
· Point person for Beaker updates, Kiestraupdates, DI updates and works on issues and problem solving as needed
· Assists in pulling reports, charts s and gathering statistics to aid the lab manager and other analytical specialists in projects, documentation, and problem-solving
· Attends and actively participates in LISsuper-user meetings, CAP pilot projects,s, and LIS-related meetings. Distributes information from LIS super-user meetings to laboratory leadership in a timely manner.
· Analyzing L IS system for areas that can improve workflow in the lab.
· Writing and/or updating procedures related to interfaces, middleware function, Kiestra TLA or other automation lines and current standard practice for LIS
· Works with the medical director, faculty, manager, supervisors, analytical specialists, and section leads to bringing up new tests and ensure e the LIS portion of the new test is working appropriately
· Collaborates with IT analysts at the other facilities to ensure changes are appropriate for all facilities
· Works as a project manager for IT requests to ensure timely turnaround for all projects
· Responsibility for the day-to-day oversight of the IT laboratory operation.
· Receive, review and prepare technical reports reflecting the volume of work, procedures utilized and test results; coordinate the preparation of reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends, and appropriate corrective action
· Procedure manuals are available and have been reviewed annually by the director, manager, and supervisor.
Ensure remedial ac actions are taken and documented whenever tests systems deviate from established performance specifications.
Ensure that patient testing results are reported correctly and when issues arise that appropriate corrective action has been taken to resolve the issue.
· Monitor testing, quality control, results, and equipment performance to ensure that acceptable levels of analytic performance are maintained.
· Assist in the annual validation of the Electronic Laboratory Manual.
· Work on Change management projects created by the Manager and Medical Director.
· Leads change in the lab, working with staff on the process changes.
· Take an enterprise-wide perspective, by collaborating across silos to lead change. < /p>
· Participate in the leadership team to plan for the future.
· Update and maintain policies and procedures to accurately reflect lab workflow and seeks leadership input on changes.
· Communicates updates to projects, changes, and strategic initiatives with staff regularly using multiple avenues of communication: email, read and signs, huddles, one-on-ones, staff meetings, etc.
· Acts as the Liason between the lab and the DHTSLIS group for prioritizing IT projects and ensuring completion on time.
· Timely and consistently reports to lab manager any updates or issues concerning service now requests, incidents, or projects.
· Formulate goals and/or recommend policy, assign objectives, and establish standards of practice.
· Work in a positive manner with laboratory customers to ensure that customer needs are met and that issue resolution takes place in a timely manner.
· Represent the DUH laboratory in a professional and positive manner at department, hospital, and DUH S Clinical Laboratory committee meetings and workgroups related to IT systems, such as LIS Super-user meetings.
· Collaborates with lab leadership to assure the implementation of the quality assurance programs are reliable and complete for all testing procedures, proper function of laboratory equipment, and compliance with federal regulations (ie. CAP). Prepare and maintain all applicable records.
· Work with the Advanced and Senior Technologists to coordinate and participate in the development of new laboratory procedures and techniques.
· Plan, develop, and present training sessions and/or teaching aids as needed to facilitate training of employees for new equipment /procedures/protocols.
Follow-up of SRS reports (DUHS Safety Reporting System) as assigned.
Seeks out and receives feedback from lab staff concerning LIS improvements that are needed in all areas of the lab(Bacteriology, Serology, Mycology, Mycobacteriology, Molecular, RapidMolecular, Parasitology, Rapid Testing, AST)
· Subject Matter Expert of RegulatoryReq requirements for LIS. Interpret accrediting agency standards or guidelines for department testing programs and translate the requirements into policies and procedures. Initiate corrective action as soon as a deficiency is identified. Coordinate and ensure lab preparedness for on-site inspection of accreditation bodies.
· Validation of middleware and interfaces forestry TLA, Epicenter, Myla, and other systems to meet compliance requirements for CAP
· Addition of new rules in Beaker and AST systems for new drug/bug combinations and changes to our cascade rules on reporting
· Support and validate interfaces between middleware applications, DI and Beaker.
· Test changes in Beaker after updates to ensure builds and rules are functioning appropriately. Provide appropriate documentation for manager review for all validations completed.
· Performannual epic updates, testing, validation, and documentation as per CAP regulations
· Quality assurance and Quality Control programs using LIS system are established, maintained, and are effective in identifying problems.
· Prepare technical reports reflecting the volume of work, procedures utilized a and test results (ie. customized lab-specific reports).
· Coordinate the preparation of reports and analyses to set forth progress, reveal adverse trends, and make appropriate recommendations and conclusions(ie. balanced scorecard).
· Monitor quality control, quality assurance, safety, and infection control practices to assure compliance with internal and external regulations.
· Ensure working knowledge of various laboratory and hospital information systems and software programs.
· Stay abreast of and execute the latest technical and management developments including new lab procedures. Assure all staff is trained and signed off on new procedures before implementation.
· Demonstrate decision-making abilities in all aspects of performance without aid from the Manager.
· Keep the manager abreast of all issues, process changes, and needs of the department that require assistance.
Other duties as assigned:
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
This site-specific position description will be considered in conjunction with the DUHS online.
In the Duke Clinical Microbiology Laboratory, there is one analyst that works with the LIS team and DHTS on all projects related to the LIS.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
As a world-class academic and health care system, Duke Health strives to transform medicine and health locally and globally through innovative scientific research, rapid translation of breakthrough discoveries, educating future clinical and scientific leaders, advocating and practicing evidence-based medicine to improve community health, and leading efforts to eliminate health inequalities.