* Develop goals and objectives for the department based on interpretation of institutional policy and goals.
* Plan to achieve goals or establish priorities.
* Help section understand, share and support the vision .
* Initiate changes in or develop new policies, procedures and/or methods.
* Analyze long-range impact of decisions and plans.
* Ensure the most effective operations of the section through program development, process improvement and coordination/integration of processes with other sections.
* Supervision to include responsibility for planning, coordinating, and controlling the work and procedures; provide advice/consultation to staff regarding problems
* Adjust work schedules or project priorities to meet emergencies or changing conditions
* Participate on departmental and/or interdepartmental committees to address problems and facilitate information exchange about programs, problems, etc.
P Provide information to others (oral or written) to explain/clarify problems, issues or requests
* Participate in periodic management meetings to keep top management informed of section problems and concerns
* Analyze and evaluate ongoing section programs to identify areas where adjustments/improvements are needed
* Develop staffing plans to ensure developmental objectives are being met.
* Define and achieve financial targets in support of business goals of the institution.
* Project future budget based upon analysis of current operations.
* Develop cost reduction projects and targets in collaboration with subordinate managers and operating section managers.
* Prepare justification or develop alternatives for cost containment/reduction.
* Prepare an annual operating budget for a unit or section, including direct labor, material and supplies, services, equipment maintenance and replacement.
* Analyze and evaluate budget variance to determine cause.
* Create and exceed service standards utilizing key service dimension and from knowledge of patient/customer expectations and best practice.
* Participate in establishing service standards for the section and determine if service standards are compatible with financial targets.
* Ensure that the service standards are met or exceeded by utilizing customer satisfaction, best practices and market information to improve customer service and satisfaction.
* Create an organizational culture (both within and across departments) that provides a safe, satisfying and enriching environment for employees and provides a qualified, competent staff to meet patient needs.
* Define the qualifications and performance expectations for all staff positions through the Performance Development system, including department specific job descriptions, measurable performance standards.
* Create an environment that encourages and supports self-development and learning for all staff through regular feedback, orientation, training programs, work experiences and timely assessments of competency as measured against performance expectations stated in his or her job description.
* Conduct monthly staff meetings to share essential information with staff and discuss current problems and future plans.
* Ensures all Human Resource and VUMC policies and procedures are followed according to standards.
* Identify, establish and evaluate quality assurance standards, programs, and procedures within section.
* Establish and evaluate standards of performance to ensure safe, effective, and efficient operation of the section.
* Ensure that standards are met within area of responsibility to assure clinical enterprise accreditation/licensure.
Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent experience) and 4 year experience required. **MBA Preferred**
* Day Shift /Exempt Position
The Department of Anesthesiology at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine has a long tradition of innovation. This creative impulse has kept the Vanderbilt Anesthesiology Department in the vanguard of clinical discovery, basic science research, and translational application of new knowledge throughout perioperative medicine.
Anesthesiology is a dynamic and rapidly evolving medical specialty. Although the operating room anesthetic of today would be familiar to an anesthesiologist from 20 or 40 years ago, our technology has improved, and our scope of practice has expanded dramatically to incorporate the full arc of perioperative medicine. Simultaneously, the economic and regulatory landscape within which we care for our patients has been fundamentally changing beneath our feet for a generation.
Vanderbilt Anesthesiology has the intellectual agility to maintain equilibrium and thrive in this unstable environment. We get the right people onto the team, create the right systems of practice to provide optimum patient care, and develop innovative technology to improve the capabilities of our clinicians. We train the future leaders of perioperative medicine in research, clinical innovation and patient care, and we put those skills into practice every day.
Our department is characterized by optimism, excitement, talent, and a commitment to work together to improve our knowledge and the care we provide to our patients. We welcome individuals at all levels who share this commitment and our passion for creating the best perioperative science and medicine.
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center: Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
* US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center ), 9 adult and 9 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training * Truven Health Analytics: among the top 100 hospitals in the US * Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America" * The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score * National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US * American Association for the Advancement of Science: 12 faculty members elected fellows in 2014 * Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Middle Tennessee * Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer * American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period. Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As t...he largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.